In 1852 the estate was sold to Thomas Smith and in 1880 the house was sold with 807 acres to High Gosforth Park Ltd, a company formed to establish a racecourse on the estate.
In 1882 when the estate was converted into a racecourse, the houses west wing dated 1757, served as a hotel and bar. Formally known as The Gosforth Hotel, The Border Minstrel was named after a famous race horse of the 1920â€™s best known for winning The Pitman's Derby, now renown as The Northumberland Plate. In 1927 Border Minstrel crossed the line first ridden by Owner Tommy Weston.
Now the Border Minstrel pub offers real ale and good food all year round, the exterior remains intact with original features unchanged since the 18th century.